- Set up your home office
- Find a desk or chair solution
Setting up your work space
- Sit with hips back in chair and back supported
- Feet firmly supported on floor or footrest
- Shoulders relaxed
- Elbows at sides even with top of work surface
- Eyes level with top of screen
- Center body with primary display
Working at the dining room table
Suggestions to improve your comfort:
- If sitting on a non-adjustable chair, use a cushions or a folded blanket to raise your sitting height.
- Use a rolled up towel or pillow for back support.
- A sturdy box, foam roller, or firm cushion can be used as a foot support.
- Raise your display on a stand, ream(s) of copy paper, books or other stable surface.
- Use a separate keyboard and mouse/trackpad when elevating your MacBook on a stand.
- Position your display(s) away from windows and direct light.
- Adjust room lighting, blinds or shades to reduce glare and reflection.
What to look for when choosing a desk
- Make sure the desk size meets your needs fits your space.
- Recommended 29” X 48” (73cm x 122cm).
- Thickness of the work surface < 5cm (2 inches).
- Avoid center drawer or shelf under the main working area of the desk.
- You should be able to comfortably sit under the main working area of the desk.
Confirm chair-desk height adjustments, watch video.
What to look for when choosing a chair
When purchasing a chair for your personal use at home one of the most important parts about selecting a chair is that it fits you and supports your frame.
Features to look for when choosing a chair:
- Adjustable seat height.
- Armrests if present, should be adjustable in height or removable.
- Five-star base with casters for stability.
- Seat backrest should support upright working posture, and able to lock and/or adjust tension.
- Seat pan depth should allow 2-3 fingers of space from edge of chair to back of your knees.
Solutions for fixes height desks
An adjustable height laptop cart is a flexible solution to position your keyboard and mouse/trackpad lower at your seated elbow height. Allowing you to sit with your feet flat on the floor.
A clamp mount keyboard tray is another solution to position the keyboard and mouse lower to a proper height.
The cart or tray dimensions should be large enough to hold both a full size keyboard and mouse. Minimum Recommended dimensions, 27” (69cm) width x 10” (25cm) depth.
Below are a few desk and chair options. Please note pricing and availability frequently change.
- Desk and Chair Solutions
- APAC Country Specific Products: Australia - China - India - Japan - Korea - Singapore - Thailand - Taiwan
Contact your regional ergonomics support with questions you may have for purchasing a desk or chair for home use
- Americas - email@example.com
- EMEA - firstname.lastname@example.org
- APAC - email@example.com
- Greater China - firstname.lastname@example.org
Your actions matter
Request an ergonomics assessment.New Request
Adjust your workstation
Make sure your workstation is set up correctlyLearn More
Get up and move
Learn how simple stretching techniques at work can improve your comfort, your concentration and even your sporting performance.Learn More
Set up your home office
Tips for setting up your home workspace, watch the video.Video
Find a desk or chair solution
Thinking about buying desk/chair for home? Check out our furniture guidelines and recommendations to ensure you have a comfy place to work.Request
Learn about common causes for discomfort
Get yourself on the road to physical comfort by discovering the cause(s) for common discomforts and how to correct themLearn More